Ryan Hunting Safaris General Information
When booking, specify what animal you wish to hunt. All hunters from countries which are signatory to CITES convention must bring a photocopy of their original CITES permit for Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Crocodile and Hippopotamus. CITES permits can be obtained from Federal Wild Life Permit Office.
Some Hospitalization Plans do not cover patients in a foreign country. Travellers Emergency Network,(800) 275-4836, will transport the injured by plane to a hospital for the necessary care. American Republic Insurance Company ( AMERICARE), offers Hospital and Emergency coverage. Their number is 800-925-7767. Firearm Insurance is handled by Hollis E. Boss of Sportsman’s Insurance Agency, Inc. (SIAS) 800-925-7767. They insure guns, bows, cases and related items such as scopes, rings, quivers, sights, etc.
Passport & Visas —
A valid passport is needed to enter any of the countries that we hunt in. South Africa does not usually require a Visa. However some countries do require a visa to enter Zimbabwe, most of the time these can be obtained at your port of entry into Zimbabwe (Approximately $30)
We highly recommend that you use a travel agent who not only specializes in Africa travel, but also has the knowledge and experience to handle the special arrangements required for hunters. Although you are free to choose whom you please, we recommend Debbie Trinidad Custom Travel 414-433-0079 / 1-800-728-5301 in USA, www.customtravelafrica.com
In addition to be highly experienced, she is also a direct link to Afton Guest House. Afton makes the entire customs process much easier – specifically when it comes to gun permits.
Meet and Greet:
If you flying into Johannesburg, we suggest that you use Afton Guest House to meet you at the airport. Afton makes the entire Customs process much easier – especially when it comes to gun permits ahead of time, greet you as you exit customs and then take you to the gun registry process. Additionally, they can help you run errands, tour Johannesburg or send you to Polokwane or Port Elizabeth. They also offer overnight accommodation if needed. You can reach Charny at:
Afton Guest House
Your trip fee ($320/person/trip) include pick up and drop off at the international airport closest to your safari destination.
South Africa – Polokwane Airport / Port Elizabeth Airport
Zimbabwe – Victoria Falls International Airport
Bring a bolt action or a double rifle (muzzleloaders are also welcome). For Buffalo, Elephant and Rhino a minimum calibre of .375 or higher is recommended. For Lion, Leopard and antelope and other medium game – a calibre of .300 or 30-06 will be sufficient. For dangerous game – 40 full metal jacket cartridges, as well as 40 soft point cartridges, are required. For medium game, you will need at least 80 soft point cartridges.
Fit your rifle with a good quality scope with variable power. 1.5 -6 x 42 or 2.2 -9 x 42 or the alike. For transportation of your rifle between hunting areas, a soft case per gun is required.
The importing of hunting weapons to South Africa and Zimbabwe is free (declaration at weapons on arrival suffices). The legislation governing the international flights demands that rifles and ammunition be transported in lockable cases with ammunition packed separately.
Ammunition in a locked container (please confirm with Hunters’ Support / African Odyssey regarding the weight restrictions on ammunition for different airlines as well as the regulations on how to transport ammunition) (South African law says you can bring 200 rounds per firearm per calibre into South Africa BUT the airline regulation only allows you 11lbs of ammunition including the locked box (which is approximately 100 rounds of .375 ammo in weight). If the person is under 21 years of age they cannot carry any ammunition
If you plan on using a bow, please let us know ahead of time so that we can make the necessary preparations.
What to pack:
- Ammunition poach
- Binoculars (8 x 30 to 10 x 40 or 10 x 32)
- Camera – Extra memory card – Memory stick to download pictures
- Cellphone and instructions for use in the country you will be visiting
- 220 to 110 volt converter
- Comfortable attire to wear around camp at night
- Comfortable, well-worn hunting shoes/boots
- 3-4 Pairs of socks
- 3 x Shirts (hunting shirts)
- 2-3 pairs of hunting shorts
- 2-3 pairs of hunting trousers (during June & July we usually wear long pants while
- During June / July we recommend you bring gloves and a beanie.
- Flashlight & batteries
- Hat Insect repellent – only necessary during warm months (March / April/ September
- / October) Insurance information
- Medical prescriptions
- Passport (make copies of all paperwork and put in a separate bag or your rifle case)
- Rifle, sling & soft bag
- Toiletry bag
- Waist belt
- Warm jacket
# Laundry is done daily in our hunting camps in South Africa
# May, June & July are our coldest months in South Africa
1 x 1 : $ 500/day (One Client one Professional Hunter)
1 x 2 : $ 425/day (Two Clients one Professional Hunter)
Observer/ Non Hunter : $ 300/day
Arrival day $ 320 p/p per day
Request Trophy Price list: email@example.com
- Accommodation, including full board
- Beverages served in camp (Soft Drinks)
- Full-time service of an experienced Professional Hunter, staff, trackers and skinners
- Field preparation of trophies.
- All transport within the hunting area
- All hunting Licences
- VAT Taxes (15%) on day rates
- Trophy fees of animals bagged, wounded and lost as per current trophy fee price list.
- For all wounded and lost animals, 15% government VAT will be charged.
- Ground transportation between hunting areas and Polokwane/ Port Elizabeth
airports ($320 /person / trip / day).
- Firearms importation fees into South Africa
- Hotel accommodation before and after the safari.
- Packing, dipping and shipping of trophies to final destination – Trophy Solutions
Africa Taxidermy pricelist available on request: Johan van der Merwe: www.trophy-care.com
- Commercial and air chartered flights between hunting areas.
- Medical & travel expenses – please have own travel and medical insurance.
- Gratuities to staff.
Terms of business
To confirm a booking and secure dates a deposit of 50% of the total nightly rate and transportation fees is required. The balance of the nightly rate is payable at least 30 days before the commencement of the safari.
- Please note only wire transfers, traveller’s checks, credit cards and cash will be accepted as payment. Please note that all credit card payments will incur a 3% surcharge. No personal or bank certified checks can be accepted as payment.
- There will be no refunds on cancellations. Dates booked as per contract will be paid for in full. Please take out own cancellation insurance.
- Before commencement of the safari, clients are required to complete and sign a safari contract and a general information sheet.
- All clients and observers are required to read and sign our indemnity form before the commencement of any safari.
- Prices are subject to change without notice due to circumstances out of our control.
- All rates are quoted in US $ (dollars).
- Any traveling day between states/hunting areas will be considered a full paying hunting day for hunters and observers.
- Outfitter, when booking the safari, will determine all ground transportation cost by vehicle between airports and hunting areas.
- Any client wishing to fly between areas during a safari is responsible for his own/ plus 1 x pro hunter’s and 1 x skinner’s airfare.
- Value added tax (VAT) of 15% at present, is included in all nightly rates and transportation fees. Trophy fees are exempt from government VAT IF they are an export item. If an animal is wounded & lost, VAT is payable and will be charged. VAT cannot be claimed back at the airport on the nightly rates or transportation as it is considered a service provided. A wounded animal is regarded as a shot animal and the full trophy fee will apply.
Any safari is potentially hazardous and it is essential that all lawful direction and advice of the safari operator be followed. Ryan Hunting Safaris accept no responsibility death, injury or illness sustained or suffered by any person’s loss, theft or damage to property occurring during a visit (or visits) to areas or resorts under our control, whether allegedly due to negligence of any of the servants or agents, or arising from the use of any facility supplied or made available by us.
Clients are advised to take out their own medical insurance and cancellation cover.